Sunday 1 November 2015

Phil Blaine & Jud The Prophet

Phil Blaine

(Photo by Paul Goettlich)

       In my Junior year at GW I took an elective in poetry-writing, and the good folks on the creative-writing floor of the English Department’s converted stone townhouse steered and recommended me into applying to go to this summer thing called the Aspen Writers’ Workshop –  something dreamed up to help keep things ticking over in Aspen when it wasn’t ski season. There was a music thing going on there, too, and other artsy-fartsy stuff. I went for the second half of the summer. I made one close and enduring friend when I was in Aspen, named Phillip T Blaine.
          Phil was from Somerville, Massachusetts, a working-class suburb in the Boston metro, just upriver from Cambridge, the home of Harvard and MIT. He’d just got out of the Air Force. He’d been an aerial photographer in Vietnam and hadn’t liked it, so he’d jacked up a medical discharge for himself, he told me, on the grounds of dermatological disability. He explained that his beard hairs were so wiry and curly that they grew back into his face if he didn’t shave twice a day, and after one mission he’d come back with his beard growing into his face and had refused to shave, as it would have damaged his skin, and they went for it, or so he said.
Still, the first thing he said to me when we met was, “Fuck you, Airman!”
          He was an odd-looking duck. Ethnically, he said, he was, “Part Scot, part Irish, part Choctaw, part Apache, part Ethiopian, and part Sudanese.” At this point he would pause, and then say, “That’s right: a nigger.” He was medium height, but burly. Green eyes. Somewhat apricot-coloured skin. That super-kinky beard, which was a fairly light brown. Chubby cheeks and a devilish smile. I could easily picture him in his pre-war motorcycle-bandit colours, the disgusting funkiness of which he described to me in loving detail.
          Phil wasn’t one of us workshop attendees. He was just passin’ through. He did get real turned on by contact with the Writers’ Workshop and wrote a piece of hard-boiled-dick fiction that was certainly more commercial (because more readable) than anything I’d ever done. He was an enthusiastic and somewhat messy cook, and taught me an incredibly cholesterol-rich pasta recipe with cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream that he called, for some reason, “kosher spaghetti”.
          We worked up a comedy routine involving mostly race humour, with me playing the black guy and Phil the white guy, with some phoney pro-wrestling moves thrown in. We hung out together quite a bit, and even had an afternoon of tag-team sex with a student soprano from Aspen’s summer music school. I couldn’t believe it. We were in her apartment, telling jokes and generally putting on our comedy routine, and then Phil said, “Let’s throw fingers to see who fucks who first,” and the soprano said, “Sure!” It never would have occurred to me to make that proposal, or to expect to hear that response. We ended up at my room in the Writers’ Workshop’s apartments, taking turns.
Phil liked Bo Diddley, the Fugs, and loud motors. Fortunately, neither one of us had a car in Aspen, although we did borrow somebody’s VW microbus to drive through the night to Denver for me to catch the plane back East to start a new school year. The strange young woman he’d been sleeping with in a skiers’ dorm flew with me as far as O’Hare, but that’s an indiscreet Letter-to-Penthouse story.
          The following winter I took a train up to Boston to carouse with him for a weekend. He was living in an apartment on the Cambridge-Somerville town line. Right on the line. His front room was in Somerville and his bedroom was in Cambridge. He had a job in the main Harvard library, but was mostly into just living la vie boheme. Amongst other activities during my visit, he and a full-figured young woman and I went through the snow to an Italian restaurant where we ate Tom Jones-style (the movie, not the singer) before going back to his apartment for yet another episode of contrapuntal sex. Phil seemed to like that sort of thing.
          I stayed with Phil in Somerville during my Boston-area stopover after being graduated from GW. He was still working, and staying stoned, and having a good time. I remember in particular how crisp and clean the sound on his new stereo was.
          Later, in the Autumn of 1971, when I was staying in rural Oxford, Pennsylvania, Phil took the train down from Boston. He took over the kitchen and made a quiche lorraine (which he called, leeringly, “an open-faced French tart”). The woman with whom I was staying, Pam, took a dim view of the mess he left in her kitchen. His first evening there he made a heavy move on a friend Pam’s, in an apparent, but unsuccessful, attempt to get contrapuntal yet one more time. In general, he made Pam drop lots of hints about when he’d be leaving. I was sorry to see him go when he did go a few days later, though, and I haven’t seen him since. We lost touch and I haven’t been able to find him on the internet.


Jud the Prophet

          Sometime during the mid-60s I read an article in a short-lived magazine called Fact: about Kerista, which it called “the world’s first hipster religion”. Kerista had been instigated in New York by a man named John Presmont who had changed his name to Jud the Prophet. They were, at the time of the article, endeavouring to set up a commune in Belize, then called British Honduras.
          When I cruised through San Francisco during the Summer of Love I somehow ran into the Keristans. Somebody introduced me. There weren’t many of them, and I couldn’t tell if they were serious or if they were basically satirical. It seemed obvious to me that all that religious stuff was total bullshit, but the Keristans went through the motions with only the occasional smirk. The way I saw it, people might want to make smoking dope and engaging in free sex the basis for a way of life, but why organise it and give it a name?
          Somebody took me to Jud the Prophet’s flat to meet him. He turned out to be a genial, overweight, middle-aged guy with long grey hair, a beard, and a drawling baritone voice. Graciously, he rolled up a large number of skinny East Coast style reefers and began to talk. Most of what he said sounded a bit pompous, but what the hell, it was his weed. When someone knocked at the door he quickly covered the reefers on the tabletop with a magazine.
          Jud’s wife, who went by the name Joy, was a jolly, zoftig African-American woman, considerably younger than Jud. She seemed to be happy to be along for the ride and not all that impressed by Jud’s spiritual grandeur. When he said, “While I was meditating,” Joy mouthed the words, “He means taking a nap.” And so on. Jud seemed to take great delight in recounting recent wife-swapping adventures to me in an unemotional hipster’s drawl.
          I picked up a relatively buxom speedfreak on Haight Street that night and had sex with her in a concrete drainage culvert off a freeway offramp just on the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge, with her chanting “I love God” over and over again. She said she knew the Keristans, so the next day I took her to see generous Jud, who explained at length what her chanting “I love God” over and over again in those circumstances signified. It sounded like bullshit to me. The next day I left her with a couple of other Keristans she knew and headed north.
          There’s plenty of information on the internet about what the Keristans got up to later: they finally got organised for real in the early 70s, got their numbers up to about 30, started up a successful business in the computer industry, and stayed together until 1991.
          Jud’s dead by now, of course.


No comments:

Post a Comment