Wednesday 9 March 2016

Jessica Jewett; Joyce Honeychurch

Jessica Jewett

          One of the sleaziest dickheads I’ve ever known was an advertising agency creep who bought an old house down near the foot of Claremont Avenue. When he wasn’t at his agency’s tastefully converted old house on the park side of Broadway, doing sleazy advertising things, he was engaging in the cocaine-and-other-drugs business, or just getting wasted and doing stoned-out things about the house, pretending to be pursuing renovation. From time to time he’d get wasted and go to a bar and maybe get into a fight or something.
Somehow, he obtained a stop-traffic-gorgeous 17-year-old school-dropout girlfriend named Jessica.
          Jessica was six feet tall, slim and stacked, and had abundant blond hair, flashing blue eyes, and a smile featuring what seemed like an amazing number of perfectly configured and blindingly white teeth. It was summer when I met her and she always wore next to nothing, although sometimes she did wear in-line roller skates. She was, of course, usually stoned. More surprisingly, she was also friendly and flirtatious with me. I didn’t know if she was that way with everyone, or what, but I appreciated it.
          We ended up being friends, even long after her affaire with the advertising creep ended. She seemed to think that I was an intellectual, a “beatnik genius”, as she told me once, and she seemed to think I was an adornment of some sort on her scene. She showed me the trophy she’d won at a ping-pong tournament when she’d been thirteen or fourteen.
          I remember one time I was driving her somewhere, I think to a legendary Italian lunch restaurant near the big wholesale produce markets, and she leaned out my car window, flashed her million megawatt smile, and waved – at the world in general, as far as I could tell. At least one male driver slammed on his brakes and several swerved out of their lanes, fucking up traffic in both directions for about a block either way. I was impressed on multiple levels. She could actually fuckin stop traffic.
          I did have one window of opportunity, not long after her break-up with the ad-creep, to consummate the unavoidable lust I continually had for her. I blew it. Drugs. She’d come by my house, and we had begun getting physical for the first time, on my waterbed. I couldn’t believe my luck. Then she told me she had to go meet a girlfriend of hers at some night club out on the Austin Highway, but that if I showed up after midnight or so, I could ‘pick her up’ and take her back to my place. But I was coming down from some substance abuse, and by the time midnight or so rolled around had reached the severely incapable phase of the process; I couldn’t even get my sorry ass out to the car to drive to the club, and that was that.
          And so Jessica blended into the scene. My friend Chris dubbed her “Bimbo Deluxe”. She got a succession of jobs that involved being pretty a lot, such as being a receptionist, and the like. She got an apartment and some beatnik books, and I recommended Bukowski and a couple other books to her. She invited me to little parties at her place, where nothing really went on that I could see.
          She wore a conspicuous gold cross on a gold chain around her lovely neck. When I asked her why she wore religious jewellery, she expressed surprise and said that she didn’t understand what I meant. I pointed out the gold cross, and she said, “That’s not religious. That’s just a cross.” Okay.
          Not surprisingly, one thing I found it almost impossible to do was to say no to her. One time in 1981 or 1982 she roped me into going on a rafting trip down the Guadalupe River with some old friends of hers — from her early adolescence in her old neighbourhood — and I got entirely too drunk. I imagine I behaved below my usual standards. I don’t remember seeing much of Jessica after that.

Joyce Honeychurch


          I was scrambling after drivable cabs while taking a couple of summer school courses in education in 1983. The most interesting feature of finally taking education courses was a sort of friendship I developed with the associate professor in charge of my course in educational sociology, Dr Honeychurch. Joyce.
          Joyce was, I estimated, a few years older than me. How many years I don’t have a clue and wouldn’t even hazard a guess. She had remarkably pale yellow hair, worn in an unobtrusive professional cut kind of close to her large head, and a roundish Central-European face. She had a way of smiling slyly, in which she caught her lower lip with one of her upper teeth which wasn’t exactly straight. She wore no-nonsense, professional outfits. Over-the-knee skirts that didn’t move much when she did.
          Joyce was a real classroom star — an entertainer to be sure — demonstrating many of the things she was saying with physical theatre and good comedy timing. She could, for instance, crawl around on her hands and knees to demonstrate different learning styles, as I recall from her first lecture, when her nose was running from some virus. And I remember her holding off to perfection on the punchline of a story about a company that demonstrated eye make-up in her daughter’s school, using her daughter as a model (“My daughter does have beautiful eyes”), and then tried to use this foot in the door to peddle serious cosmetics to her. Joyce-the-feminist-professional, y’know? The fool. Sly smile.
          She projected a seriously on-top-of-it, intellectually rigorous persona. Early on she made it clear that she was, first and foremost, a Stanford alumna. Not a person to be trifled with, although macho men and the religiously zealous in her classes seemed to be drawn toward challenging her.
          And then, a couple of weeks into the summer session, she decided to join me in the cafeteria when I was in mid-lunch, eating (up until then) by myself. I would have guessed her for a health-food nut, but her tray was covered with a generous quantity of egregiously greasy food. She packed it away like a movie extra, chatting away all the while about this and that. I was honoured.
          We met for chats fairly often over the summer, even went out for dinner once at my favourite Japanese restaurant. She had a son who was backpacking Europe and a daughter in high school. I don’t recall hearing much about the ex-husband, from whence came the catch-your-eye Honeychurch tag, but I did learn that the on-again-off-again boyfriend back in Palo Alto was “an investor” in the Bay Area. And either he or someone else close to her was with something called the Food Research Institute (FRI) at Stanford. Her father’s nickname had been “the Midnight Czech”. She was of course in complete support of gay rights, but the actual mechanics of what went on in gay bath-houses was something upon which she preferred not to dwell. I couldn’t believe that she took me seriously, but I started to take myself a bit more seriously as a result, even if she did make it clear that romance was not part of the programme.
          Joyce was all set to be my student-teaching supervisor, but then she got an opportunity to be a low- (or non-) paid research fellow back at Stanford, and since she’d never liked Texas all that much, off she went. I guess the thing with the rich boyfriend was on-again. Anyway, she told me she thought I should go and be a researcher at FRI instead of becoming a teacher, and offered to write me a killer recommendation, but I wanted a job with a steady income.
          The last time I saw Joyce was in her snug little office at UTSA. She was packing up her desk and shit to send back home to Stanford. She gave me some cards with high-quality reproductions of various pictures by Friedrich Hundertwasser on them. I’d never seen any of his stuff before. She said she thought they looked like they spoke my language, and of course they did. But at the time I was in something of a depression over money, and having to drive cabs instead of concentrating on academic stuff, and I distractedly left without taking them with me. I regretted this when I emigrated to New Zealand and went in search of Hundertwasser’s stomping grounds in the Bay of Islands.
          A Google search on Joyce’s further academic career reveals that it took her to Alaska and the United Arab Emirates before depositing her at Florida Gulf Coast University. She has authored two online home teaching resources about Alaska, Alaska the Elephant and A Geopoem about Alaska. She has semi-retired to North Carolina, where she keeps a hand in as an independent higher education consultant as she approaches 80.

No comments:

Post a Comment